If you’re feeling disconnected from who you are or seek clarity on your purpose, there is one practice that is a game changer – using a journal for self-reflection.
For those who have been following my journey, you know how much I LOVE journaling. It’s part of my beautiful self-care routine to help calm my anxious mind, clear cluttered thoughts, and reconnect with myself. It’s the most important part of my daily routine.
Research also shows that journaling can help achieve your goals, boost your confidence, increase your emotional intelligence, and even help you heal from challenging experiences.
However, a common challenge people face when they want to start journaling is: What do I write about?
When you slow down, you have the time and opportunity to pause, breathe, and explore your thoughts, actions, behaviors, and decisions that follow. These journal prompts will help you understand yourself, define your priorities, articulate what’s important and live an intentional, meaningful life.
- What makes you feel alive?
- What makes you feel sad?
- What makes you feel powerful?
- How do you recharge and refuel after a long week?
- Do you practice self-care? How can you make sure you’re getting quality “me time”?
- What is one new opportunity you’d like to explore?
- How do you encourage yourself when you’re trying something new?
- How do you stay focused and steer clear of distractions?
- What new opportunities have you gained from the challenges you’ve faced?
- Do you hold yourself to a strict standard? How do you give yourself the grace to make mistakes?
- How do you set boundaries?
- When do you feel happiest in your skin?
- How do you advocate for yourself?
- What are your top life hacks?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert? How has it shaped your life?
- What are your talents?
- What do you love about your mind and body?
- What do you love about your personality?
- What are your current 3 biggest goals?
- What is currently causing you stress or anxiety? How can you remove this from your to-do list?
- What has been your greatest challenge?
- What has been your greatest success?
- What is my greatest strength?
- What is my greatest weakness?
- What are your current goals?
- Write a list your priorities for the week, month or year. Are they aligned with what/who you want to be in life?
- What makes you feel at peace?
- When do you feel most loved?
- When do you feel most vulnerable?
- What makes you feel overwhelmed?
- What is your favourite self-care activity?
- How have you grown in the past year?
- What scares you the most?
- How do you treat people around you?
- What makes you unique?
End of Day Reflection
- List three things that made you smile today
- List three things that had a negative impact on you
- How was your attitude today? Was it aligned with the person you want to be?
- How can you make tomorrow better than today?
- What’s a choice you can make for yourself today to meet a neglected need?
- What was the most pleasant part of your day? Write about it
- How were your temperament and mood today, was it aligned with the person you want to be?
- How would you describe today?
- Did anyone go out of their way to do something nice for you today? How does that make you feel?
- List things that you are grateful for today.
- What do you value most about today?
- How did you stay true to yourself today?
- List your wins today – big or small!
Embrace the connection between your hand, pen and paper. Let your thoughts flow, and write whatever comes to your mind.
Ditch your perfection. There is no right or wrong way to journal. Be honest, raw and authentic with yourself.